Friday, October 03, 2008

17-18th September: The Beginning of the Adventure

The beginning stages of this adventure started several months ago when I accepted an offer to study at Birkbeck College in London (it's part of the University of London).  As many of you know, the process to actually get there was long and, at some points, almost impossible.  But finally the dream came true today.  I've spent many nights preparing for the "Big Move."  Originally, I packed 2 large suitcases, 1 small rolling carry-on and a computer bag.  But by the time I left for the airport, I was down to just the 2 large suitcases and computer bag.  I feared I would not be able to keep track of all my luggage while going through Heathrow airport.  So being me, I had to repack my suitcases yet again the morning of my flight.  

The reality of this move set in when my parents finally left me at the airport.  Security did not take long, and before I knew it I was waiting patiently at the gate to board the flight that would forever change my life.  The plane was completely packed, but I was lucky enough to have a window seat next to a nice British couple.  They slept most of the flight; unfortunately I did not sleep a wink.  When I repacked my cases, I accidently put the bag with my sleeping bills into my checked luggage.  I was exhausted the whole time, but spent most of it watching the in-flight movies.  It did not help the situation that the French couple in front of me put their seats in the complete recline position.  Basically, I had the top of their seat in my lap, which makes using the pull down tray really hard.

We arrived earlier than I thought, as the itinerary was wrong about the length of the flight.  When I booked the flight it said it would take 9 hours, but in actuality it was only suppose to take a little over 8.  Our flight arrived at 7:45am (1:45 Dallas time), but we spent about 20 minutes flying around the city before we could land.  Landing at Heathrow's new Terminal 5 was interesting because when all hte gates at the terminal are full, they pull these tunnel stair things up to the plane so people can exit down them and then shuttle them to the gate.  It was definitely a new experience for me.  After I made it to the terminal, I had to pass through Border Control, I'm glad that my visa paperwork was finished before leaving the States because there was one girl being drilled about how she was going to pay for school, where she was going to live, etc.  Thankfully, all my stuff was already taken care of, and they just asked where I was going to school and wrote down my Visa number on this form then let me go.

By the time I got off the plane, rode the bus in, went through border control, and made it to luggage claims my bags were already off the belt and waiting for me.  I ventured into the main part of Heathrow to attempt and find the shuttle bus to my hotel.  All I have to say is Terminal 5 is an adventure in itself.  I was on the verge of giving up, when I finally found the right exit and the correct shuttle.  Now, I was not supposed to check in until 3pm (London time), but the last time I called the hotel, they said I could probably check in about 1.  When I arrived, they took pity on me and gave me the only room available at 9am so I could go ahead and check-in and finally get some sleep.  The room is nice and rather large.  I think I may have one of the handicap accessible rooms, but I'm okay with that.  Thus far, I've spent my first day in London sleeping and hanging out in my room.  I did eat in the hotel restaurant, as it is my only real option in the area.  My first meal in London consisted of green pea soup and spinach dip with ciabatta bread.  Random I know, but overall pretty good.  I think I might splurge tomorrow or Saturday and order room service (as I've never done that) and they have a Mexican beef burger, which intrigues me, but will cost around 17 pounds with delivery charge. (**I did try it and it was interesting)
This is the beginning of my adventure...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home